To be comfortable in your own skin. To the toughest questions. And to those who answer them.

To be comfortable in your own skin

As an adult, I do know these words don't convey the literal sense. Its far more nuanced. 

But as a child, the literal sense is what I struggled with. I have earlier written about how my wise and sensitive mother helped me come to terms with it. My entire being had so imbibed her words that I never fell to doubt since then. (https://www.mumsandstories.com/2016/09/26/not-fair-but-lovely-blog-post-by-jita-susan-jacob/)

Fast forward to sometime around a year back. That girl, herself a mom now.

A school trip day. All fun and lots of shine. Tucking tired kids into bed should be a quick one, I thought. We're at the last few pages of the storybook, when out of the blue my child whispered, "I don't like my skin color."

I froze, like a deer in headlights. "But, why", I somehow pushed the words out. 

"I am dark skinned. It is not good.", he whispered.

There is a fleeting moment, right before sleep conquers, when truths and fears come tumbling out through that miniscule window of opportunity. The moment was soon to be lost. 

Activating swift damage mode, I quickly tried to reason and show pictures of famous personalities who are of a dark skin tone, trying to replicate from my own experience. "But I still don't like my skin color. I want to be light skinned", he whispered. With slumber swiftly staking claim of him, the moment was gone forever. I was left hapless and sleepless, speed-dialing my husband and parents. The next morning, my child seemed not to register when I brought up the topic; a clean slate. My worry seemed to be unwarranted, until..

A regular day. Its play time and random topics are tossed around for discussion - A friend's birthday is coming up. There is a new app for reading. Someone needs seconds for snacks. In the midst, a statement activates my alert mode "In my login, there is a picture of a boy in the app. He doesn't look like me." The warning signals are on, the adults get to investigation. Yes, the avatar assigned by default is a fair boy with a baseball cap. Cute one, but doesn't look like the child. We search the available avatars, none are representative of the child. Finally, we upload his own photo. Thumps up for a save, I thought. But he seemed disappointed for not finding an avatar of his likeness. 

And soon I realized, the topic was on the slate all along, probably marked with some vanishing ink that only showed up under a certain light. Twice. The child shared his plight. 'Its not a beautiful colour.' I said "Of course it is, it is the color of Earth.", though actually intending to say 'mud'. Try saying that to a five year old. It really didn't make sense and he looked even more distraught.

The second time, I think I may have come close to getting it right. "But why, isn't it the colour of chocolate?" His eyes twinkled and for the first time I think he could agree.

Nowadays, when he draws himself, he uses the colour brown. 



Even as I tried all this, I seemed to just get confused further. Around this time, my daughter brought a drawing she made of our family; each of us depicted in our own skin colour. Initially I chided her fearing the reactions (as all characters in my drawings as a child would be 'flesh colour'), but then saw it in a positive light after discussing with my husband. To come up with the right answer every time, isn't easy. 

I don't really celebrate Mother's day. 

But something triggered this write-up, so my long-neglected blog got some activity. Today, on mother's day, the kiddos got me some cute cards. My daughter portrayed me, her mother, as such - brown with black hair. I just felt happy. 


A small step for little kids towards feeling comfortable in their own skin, I hope.

And so, To all who help answer the toughest questions, now and then, this is your day!



Comments

Sumayya said…
Lovely writing. A very helpful advice too.
Jita said…
Thank you Sumi!

Popular Posts