Forever Santa

Shhhh!
Ya better watch out! Ya better not cry!
Ya better not pout! I'm tellin' you why...
Santa Claus is comin' to town.
He's makin' a list, and checkin' it twice.
He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice.
Santa Claus is comin' to town.


My earliest memories of Christmas is waking up to the voice of Jim Reeves belting out a xmas number. I would know christmas was round the corner when most mornings began this way. My father, a die hard fan of music, used to play christmas songs from a recorder. He had a huge collection; his favourites being Jim Reeves, Carpenters among others.

My sister would plan how to decorate the christmas tree. And I, her forever satellite, would revolve around her plans and do my bit..We used to make stars, wreaths, santa faces, mistletoes ( I never knew then if you stood underneath a mistletoe, you could get kissed!!), gingerbread men, candy sticks, candles and arrange them all around the tree. My sister would come up with a new idea every year. The last time we decorated a tree, she made a cute little crib. The nativity scene with the angel descending...Can you imagine that? Maybe not .. because it was prettier than you can imagine.

Our house used to overflow with delicacies! My mom used to bake batches of fruit cakes for everybody we knew. Her cake is relished by friends (we moved from that city years ago) even now when we meet up. We used to sneak around to lick the batter. Do you know that there's no greater joy than trying to do that when your ma wont see:) I do it even now.
My mother used to save the egg shells for the santa faces..that was christmas!!

We also used to make greeting cards for our grandparents, other relatives and friends and post them well in advance. The cards we used to receive would be arranged some where in the living room..

The house used to look so beautiful..with the lingering 'christmasy' feel:)

One Christmas was so special.

I'm tellin' you why.... Santa Claus is comin' to town. He did come!!

That Christmas.. I woke up to find two books under my pillow:) My sister and cousin brother were also surprised to find two books each under their pillow:)I got a book on Alladin. My sister and cousin got books on King Arthur.

Well weren't we surprised and thrilled to bits!!

I used to read that book many years later too. It is the prettiest book I have. The jewels that Alladin discovered shines through the pages..

Over the years, I lost track of the book. But never memories of that day. For that was the Christmas when Santa visited me!
It was much later that I came to know that it was my dear little father who decided to be Santa!

He sees you when you're sleepin'.
He knows when you're awake.
He knows if you've been bad or good,
So be good for goodness sake!
Ya better watch out!
Ya better not cry!
Ya better not pout!

I wonder if I wasn't a really good kid later for that was the first and last time Santa remembered me to give me a gift when I was sleeping. :) My forever Santa..

Comments

Jibi said…
You have this great way of reminding me of all the great things I have recieved throughout my life. Well christmas used to be a mighty jolly time which meant all of my relatives from all over the country under the same roof madness, fun and tons of delicious food. Thanks for reminding..

Popular Posts